The school, which was called Soltani School and Shah's mother school, was built during the reign of King Soltan Hussein, the last king of the Safavid government.
The construction of this building began in 1116 AH and ended in 1126 AH. This is, in fact, the last magnificent building built in the Safavid era to teach religious scholars.
The old trees and the rivulet that flows through it have a unique effect on the architectural beauty and spectacular tiling.
Among the most prominent parts of this school are:
The beautiful architecture and tile works of the school’s dome
Magnificent door decorated with gold and silver
Special room of Shah Sultan Hussein
Tile Unique School Entrance
Nastaliq scripts and wooden lattice windows
This magnificent and spectacular building is located on the eastern side of Chaharbagh, Isfahan. This school can be considered the last major building that was built during the Safavid period in Isfahan, which is one of the most popular Isfahan tourist attractions.
None of the monuments and Isfahan tourist attractions in the city can attract tourists like Chaharbagh School. This building can be called the Iranian Tile Collection. Visiting this valuable building is included in many Isfahan tours.
This article confirms the memos and travel letters of foreign tourists. Many have described the building in their writings and travelogues with words like magic, attractive and pleasant. Every tourist who wants to travel to Isfahan is advised to read this article.
Among these tourists, Eugene Flandin, Jane Dieulafoy and de Gobineau named Chaharbagh School as the masterpiece of the Safavid era architecture.
Chahrbagh School is a magnificent example of tile works, and includes various types of the this art such as seven colors tiles, mosaics, knots, lattice and Bannai scripts, and is in fact the Isfahan Tile Museum.
This school is called the Sultan School because it was built at the time of King Sultan Hussein. Since this school is located on Chaharbagh Street, it is referred to as Chaharbagh School, and since Shah Sultan Hussein's mother has dedicated several caravanserai, which were Iran hotels in past, and market and economic institution to this school, sometimes people call it Shah’s mother school.
Chaharbagh School has four Iwans. The exterior of the mansion consists of a magnificent courtyard, and seventeen two-story brick arches around it. Elegant tiles, full-color Muqarnas and various lines, decorate the facade of the building and its entrances as beautifully as possible.
There is an inscription written in white Nastaliq and on an azurite color tile that is dated 1112 AH. This inscription is written by Abdul Rahim Jazayeri.
The two openings are decorated with turquoise tiles and a vase is beautifully mounted on two marble bases. There are two exquisite marble platforms in both sides of the facade.
The main door of the school which is decorated with gold and silver, is an outstanding example of the art of Zargari and Toreutics, which has reached its highest level of development during the Safavid period.
On the two left and right slopes, prominent poems are carved in Nastaliq. The calligrapher of these poems, Mohammad Saleh Esfahani, is a prominent poet of the Safavid era.
The inner part of the school consists of penthouses, entrance, courtyard, dome, minaret and rooms. The most beautiful part of the school in terms of tile is its entrance vestibule.
The Iwans and courtyard rooms of the four Iwans of the school are placed in a full-bodied garden with rivulet flowing through it. This rivulet is called Farshadi. (In Isfahan these rivulets are called Madi.)
Madi Farshadi rivulet is a branch of Zayandehrud. The Chahar Bagh School is the perfect example of an intrinsic and native architecture.
Two-story rooms built in the courtyards of the school have been dedicated to religious scholars. Most of these chambers have the same plan, consisting of a living room in front and a part in the form of a cuddy room on the back and a part called the Balakhaneh (attic). In front of each chambers there is a beautiful Iwan.
In the northern part of the school, the northern Iwan is located with a relatively width and great height, facing the south side of the dome and minarets. The upper inscription inside the dome is written by Abdul Rahim Jazayeri, a calligrapher of Safavid era.
All interior surfaces are divided into small pieces decorated with tiles. The school's twelve-foot pulpit, integrated with marble, is one of the finest examples of carvings and rock art ever. Beside this pulpit, there is an exquisite and beautiful altar of the school. The inscriptions above the altar and the pulpit are also written by Abdul Rahim Jazayeri.
The lyrics around the school hall were written by Muhammad Saleh Isfahani in white Nestaliq script on an azurite color clay tile Saleh Isfahani dating back to 1119 AH.
The horizontal inscription inside the dome was also written by Abdul Rahim Jazayeri and dates 1121 AH.
The roofed Shabestan at the Chaharbagh School, located on the eastern side of the school, is connected to the area beneath the dome with a large wood carved door. In this Shabestan, there are three altars, the inscriptions around them have been written by Mohammad Mo’men al-Husseini in 1118 AH
Special Room of Shah Sultan Hussein
The Chaharbagh School has a valuable and scarce library that has been destroyed in an Afghan attack. This library has been presented to the scholars of religious sciences and other scholars and researchers at that time with exquisite and scarce books.
The Chahar Bagh School also had many endowments, including gardens, farms, villages, estates, shops, caravansaries and other properties, which remained unknown due to the attack of Afghans.
The King's Caravanserai, the most luxurious residence of travelers three centuries ago, is an endowment and attached to the Chaharbagh School buildings on its eastern side, now it has become a guest house called Abbasi Guesthouse and is unique in terms of architectural style. Another endowment attached to this building is the art market.
In general, the Chaharbagh School, which many researchers say was both school and mosque, have an area of 8,500 square meters of valuable works of the Safavid era.
The Chaharbagh School of Isfahan, renamed after the victory of the Islamic Revolution of Iran, and was named "Imam Sadiq School of theology", is currently dedicated to teaching religious scholars and its chambers as the Safavid era are dedicated to religious scholars. You as a tourist are advised to travel to Iran and then travel to Isfahan and absolutely go on one of Isfahan tours that offer Chaharbagh School visiting program.